For your information, DeCoverly Kennels has put together this small checklist of things to watch for with your pet:
This is a common problem that can occur any time of the year. Alcohol and chocolate in large amounts are toxic. Bones of any kind are irresistible to dogs, and can lodge in the throat, or block the intestinal tract. Be sure to properly clear all leftovers.
Burns and House Fires
Dogs can knock over heaters and candles with their vigorous tails, causing burns and even house fires.
Liquid potpourri is commonly used to give a nice aroma to the home. If your pet has open access, they may take interest. This can cause severe caustic burns to the mouth, gums, tongue and esophagus.
Make sure electrical cords are out of reach, and taped firmly to walls or floors. You should consider using cover slips for electrical outlets as well, dismissing the associated risks.
Certain plants are a menace to dogs. Poinsettias can easily irritate the stomach and eyes. Some berries are toxic, and cause pain, vomiting and diarrhea. Holly and mistletoe, amaryllis, chrysanthemum, rhododendron and winter broom as well as Christmas berry, cherry, pepper and rose can all cause problems to pets that ingest them. You can easily access a toxic plant list, via the internet.